T3D Percieved 'flaming'

  • From: ddd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: T3D Percieved 'flaming'
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 00:31:00 -0400 (EDT)

I received this post from a George Themelis, quoting a recent posting of mine to Tech-3d:

>I almost totally agree with Eric Goldstein, and find Mr.Kessners comments somewhat, well, insulting, i suppose...
>Mr. Kessner, you could not be more wrong.

This is called "flaming" in my book.  If you do it again, I will ususbscribe you from tech-3d.  Also, please put a limit to your characters per line as your messages (without line breaks) are not readable from certain mail readers.

With all due respect,

George Themelis, moderator

   First, i will ask anyone else who read my initial post to please inform me if they thought the above quotes inflammatory or delivered in an inflammatory manner (Off-list, please; I only post here to reach all parties). Allow me to say that it indeed was _not_ delivered with rude intent, nor was it my intent to insult Mr. Kessner. Rather, the point of my words was to clearly state my disagreement with his words.

   I question the 'guidance' that you offer, Mr. Themelis; If a discussion that has offended no one but you (no-one has replied and complained to me directly, condemning my words, *even Mr. Kessner*), well, frankly, what business is it of yours to condemn what, frankly again, your relatively recent American citizenship and apparent hypersensitvity (I note a recent exchange between yourself and another post-er, where a joke, obviously rhetorical to all but yourself IMO, resulted in his expulsion) may not have given you opportunity to recognise as non-inflammatory? If your so called 'book' labels polite disagreement as 'flaming,' I politely suggest you find another book for yourself...

   I am on this group to learn more about technical matters of stereoscopy, and usually am just a 'lurker', but when I see someone's viewpoint as being misleading, I expect and demand the opportunity to disagree with them in a polite and civil manner, which I had done.
   If my posts must meet with your own particular set of Guidelines under penalty of censorship and expulsion, perhaps you should post a list of 'forbidden words & phrases', and outline exactly where your line is drawn regarding your percieved 'tone of apparent intent.' I'm sure the whole group would benefit should there be an 'Etiquette Line' we all must toe...
   Otherwise, let the group speak for itself, please, and respond to complaints at that time...

   As for line length of my posts; Does Word Wrap not function for all newsreaders? If not, I apologise to the group for any offense (though for the life of me, I cannot see how a long line of text could possibly be offensive...).

   Thank you.