T3D Re: Storage

Greg Wageman wrote:

> However, you'll be pleased to know that you can indeed buy additional,
> new cartridges.  I purchased three more for my SyJet drive in late June.
> They are priced at $79.99 each.  This appears to be a well-kept secret.
> Shhh! :-)
>
> They are available from:
>
> Syquest Service Group
> 44131 Nobel Dr.
> Fremont, CA 94538
> 510-623-9560
>
> <http://www.syquest-service.net/>

Thanks, Richard and Greg!  I checked the Syquest and Syquest-Service web
sites today, and it appears that the price for SyJet 1.5 gig cartridges
is now $89 each when you finally get to the order page.  Although this
is still lower than the original price, the ORB drive has recently come
out <http://www.castlewood.com/> at about $200 for the drive and only
$30 each for its 2.2 gig cartridges.

I figure that, compared to the SyJet cartridges, I could save the price
of the ORB drive in my first three ORB cartridges.  The three ORB
cartridges, for $90, would store more than four SyJet cartridges, which
would cost $356, making a difference of $266, more than enough for an
ORB drive.  However, ORB hasn't started shipping a PC SCSI version of
its internal drive yet, and I don't want to attach the drive externally
or use a slower parallel connection.

It looks as though there may be an ORB in my future for storing my
stereo stuff!  But I'm not wedded to the idea, and your further comments
are welcome.

Cordially,
Oliver Dean