T3D Re: Storage

  • From: "Greg Wageman" <gjw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: Storage
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:33:34 -0700

From: Oliver Dean <3d-image@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Thanks, Richard and Greg!  I checked the Syquest and Syquest-Service
web
>sites today, and it appears that the price for SyJet 1.5 gig cartridges
>is now $89 each when you finally get to the order page.  Although this
>is still lower than the original price, the ORB drive has recently come
>out <http://www.castlewood.com/> at about $200 for the drive and only
>$30 each for its 2.2 gig cartridges.

>It looks as though there may be an ORB in my future for storing my
>stereo stuff!  But I'm not wedded to the idea, and your further
comments
>are welcome.

"Once bitten, twice shy" seems to apply here. :-)

Who are these guys, and what guarantee do you have that they won't go
the way of SyQuest in a year's time?

If I were to buy another removable hard disk, it would probably be an
Iomega product, as they seem to have the market pretty much sewn up (and
show no sign of going belly-up anytime soon).  But by the time I fill up
the 5 SyJet carts I now have, holographic storage should be out. :-)

     -Greg W. (gjw@xxxxxxxxxx)