Re: Rebuttal: Why IAPP is not for us.

  • From: Robert Erickson <cirkut8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Rebuttal: Why IAPP is not for us.
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:06:19 -0800 (PST)

Dear Joe and everyone else who loves panorama,

For the record I did NOT! publish our letters on this
list. I posted a link to them and invited those
interested to go to my web site to read them. The
first day 160 unique visitors did.

Peter Lorber CAN, and very well maybe, legally elected
after all at this week's meeting. Under the IAPP
bylaws he just needs one person to nominate him to get
on the ballot. Then members will have the president
that they vote for. Why not follow the bylaws??? Is it
possiable that he fears that he may not win?

I loved IAPP and the friends that I have made over the
years as a member. You bet I'm bitter about being
being banned from particapation and blacklisted from
membership. Once apon a time, long ago IAPP was THE
place to openly share information about panoramic
imaging. Now it is exclusively for those who pay.

IMHO I believe that my problem with a few select IAPP
members is that I wish to share ALL panorama related
information freely. Did you know that IAPP Panorama
Magazine forbids articles written by non members? If
you want your news reported you must first write out a
check.

It is my personal opinion that IAPP Life Member Michel
Disurez article about how to build a 360 degree camera
from recycled parts was banned solely because he
refused to pay for advertising in the magazine. The
LarScan design was truly the inspiration of a non
member, Lars Larson. However the article WAS WRITTEN
by MEMBER Michel! I remember when Michel was told by
President Fred Yake that if Lars would send in his
dues THEN they would print the Michel's article. Lars
had choosen to make his design public domain. He was
rightfully insulted. The matter got worse when the
design won a National Science Award. Again they were
told pay or go away, then Michel was dropped from the
Life Member's list.

Those of you who are IAPP members and read the
newsletter can see for yourselves what is and is not
being published. For instance, both this list and the
PPC forum are over flowing with information in regards
to the digital photography revolution. How little do
you read about it in IAPP's Panorama Magazine? Why is
that? I suggest that editor Peter Lorbor has a
conflict of interest. He owns the only long negative
enlarger in all of the Americas. If you are shooting a
long negative rotational camera, Peter has a monopoly
on making your prints, so he makes money. If you are
printing your own high resolution prints on your desk
top his income suffers. I predict that you will never
read about those labs who print high resolution prints
on photographic paper from digital files in Panorama
Magazine. Unless of course they pay. (For the record,
I know of two other long negative enlargers on this
side of the world, but those labs use them strictly
for their own work)

I fear that once Peter has the both the "Presidency",
and magazine editor jobs, there will be nothing but
articles that will favor his business. Anyone with
information that will adversly effect his wallet will
suffer the same fate as Michel and I and will be
blacklisted from IAPP.

Those of you who love a free and open descussion, as I
do, may join the free PPC Panoramic Photography Club.
There are 943 members as of my writing. All are
encouraged to share what ever panorama related
information they want without first writing a check.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/panoramicphotography

Free membership in the PPC on Yahoo includes space to
store and share photos, space for your own websites,
the ability to Instant Message and talk to members
live online, and much more.

Bob Erickson
3042 Cardinal Drive
Delray Beach, FL 33444